Your Kerala tour will not be completed if you don’t visit the mesmerizing backwaters which are famous for their serenity and uniqueness. Kerala is a place where you can find sundry backwaters and truly, these backwaters have made Kerala as one of the famous travel destinations in the world.
Here, we are mentioning top 5 backwaters in Kerala which will revamp your energy and mind.
- Alleppey backwater: Alleppey is indubitably the most popular backwater destinations in Kerala and is a visual treat to all the travellers. Alleppey or Alappuzha is affectionately known as “Venice of the east” for its cherubic beauty. Alleppey is famous for its houseboats which will give an opportunity to explore this backwater in a deeper way. The houseboats are decorated and are adorned with all the latest facilities like a/c, spacious bedrooms, living area, a sundeck, a fully equipped kitchen and many more things. Many houseboat tour operators used to captivate the travellers with some exciting Alleppey boat house packages so that the tourists can enjoy their tour wholeheartedly. The cruise ride will give you the real experiences of village life and scenic beauty.
- Kumarakom backwater: This is basically a group of small islands that are located on the banks of the Vembanad Lake. This stupendous backwater destination is famous for roundabout lagoons, coconut trees, unending rows of waterways, and canals fringed by paddy fields. Many houseboats also operate on this backwater route to entertain the customers. You can find both deluxe and luxury houseboats here as per your budget and trip plan. A houseboat cruise on this backwater lake provides wonderful opportunity to see the lots of bird species of Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary.
- Kottayam backwaters: Kottayam is crammed with backwater stretches, verdant paddy fields, extensive rubber plantations and any exquisite highlands which make this place an ideal choice for a travel destination. The eminent Vembanad Lake constitutes Kottayam’s magnificent backwaters, a famous tourist attraction. This place is best known as the land of three Ls – Lakes, Latex and Letters. This backwater destination also provides the tourists to indulge themselves with the beautiful sceneries of nature. Apart from serene backwaters, there are many worthy places like St. Mary’s Church, St. Joseph’s Monastery and Ettumanoor Shiva temple that you can’t miss during your tour.
- Kozhikode: Earlier, this place is known as Calicut and is one of the pre-eminent backwater destinations in Kerala. This is the place where the famous explorer, Vasco Da Gama landed in 1498 and discovered India for the rest of the world. During the British epoch, Calicut was an important trade place because, from this place, they used to connect with the countries of Arab. The serene backwaters of Kozhikode promise you enchanting holiday experiences. You will also get an opportunity to explore and sail on the Kallai River and Canoli canal on your Kozhikode backwaters tour. Apart from backwaters, there is also a Kadalundi bird sanctuary which is an ideal place for the bird vehement persons. There are also other major attractions such as Pazhassiraja museum, art gallery, and Kappad beach.
- Kollam backwaters: Kollam Backwaters is popular for its marine and cashew industries. The travellers can take a regular ferry ride from Kollam to Alappuzha and explore the very facet of the backwater. The total journey takes nearly 9 hours and the entire trip is very exhilarating and relaxing. You can enjoy the beauty of the lake, canal, exotic flora and fauna. The astonishing temples of Kollam are designed in the most traditional styles and are very delightful to watch. The most popular Ashtamudi Lake is the gateway to the magnificent Kollam backwaters. the famous Chinese nets (Cheenavala) are inevitably associated with the history of Kollam.
The backwaters are an imperative part of Kerala. While choosing your Kerala tour packages, make sure that your tour operator must cover these popular and eminent backwaters in Kerala.