F1 news: RML was a contender for Formula 1 budget engine deal :
British motorsport specialist RML stays eager to be involved should the procedure be restarted by the FIA and was in the running to become Formula 1’s independent engine provider from 2017.
On Tuesday the Formula 1 Commission voted against pursuing the FIA’s strategy for a ‘budget’ power unit as a response to the manufacturing companies’ present turbocharged V6 hybrids’ high prices.
RML Group crucial accounts manager Michael Mallock disclosed to Autosport that the firm, which has an extensive history of succeeding in sportscars, summoning and touring cars, had been requested to tender by the FIA.
“Sportscars were encouraged to be part of the procedure and we viewed it as possibly an excellent initiative,” he told Autosport.
“The first work we did demonstrated you might have created a cost efficient power unit which will tick all of the boxes and be a credible, dependable choice but at far lower price afterward is now required to be competitive in F1.
In Ilmor’s suggestions including existing products and contrast to AER, RML considered it’d have had enough time to get something prepared in time for 2017 and intended to start from scratch.
“It’s that which we believe is actually required to move forward.
“We’ve experience of doing clean sheet engine layouts in a rather short time.
Le Mans 2013 Nissan Zeod,
RML came close to entering F1 in 2010 when new teams supported.
As the price max limit then vanished and increased, RML elected not to purse that job but it’s stayed eager to get involved in F1.
Should the FIA not be happy with the suggestion select to restart the procedure and put forward by the producers on January 15, RML needs to be involved.
“If they do an about turn and restart the procedure, we’d definitely like to be part of that again,” Mallock said.
“F1 is the knowledge pinnacle and we’d be eager to be included in the event the right opportunity is there.
“You never understand what’s going to occur later on.”