Regular and first-rate used car maintenance and servicing is an unavoidable component of car ownership. Your car can never do without proper servicing, not unless you are out to run it down as fast and as soon as the next models hit the market. Which is something I suppose only someone insanely rich can enjoy doing.
But since you are neither mad nor that rich, used car servicing must top your to-do order of priorities every once too often. Your life and safety on the road depend upon it, and the lifespan of your car lengthens in direct proportion to how well it is regularly serviced.
However, used car maintenance regularity for its own sake is not everything. Just driving into any garage or dealership without checking to find out the quality of services provided there can land both you and your car in a ditch, or so to speak.
Before setting out on a maintenance journey, you need to ensure that you will get top-notch services for some of the following:
The Transmission System
This is what allows the engine to power your car. Arguably, it is one of the most important and most expensive car components. Now, when you notice any of the things listed below, know that it is time you took it for a check
- Your dashboard engine light shows meaning something is not quite right with the engine oil.
- And who told you that when the stench of burning oil suffuses the car’s interior, the culprit is the clutch? A burning smell inside the car indicates a worn-out system of transmission.
- And when it is shifting gears, those squeaky sounds and jerky movements shows there is a problem.
- Oil leaking from the engine and an unusually low power even when the gas pedal is on the floor is a call to see a mechanic.
Apart from getting the right price for your transmission problems, you also need to ensure that highly skilled service technicians do the job
Power from the engine reaches your car’s wheel via the drive train. So, even if the car has a powerful engine, but the drive train is in bad shape, you cannot get the performance you want. Again, how can you know that the drivetrain needs servicing?
- When fluids start leaking beneath your car.
- Burning smells and difficulty shifting gears.
- When the front wheel runs with clicks and pops, that means the joints are worn, and they need immediate checking.
- An unusual engine purring. The transmission should not be noisy, but when you detect engine sounds that are not normal, do not wait.
Suspension and Alignment Servicing
Are you tired of changing your tires often? Maybe you should check your tire alignment. Properly aligned tires live longer apart from giving higher performance. Two things will alert you that your tires need fine-tuning.
- When you constantly have to mend the position of the steering.
- And when the car struggles to pull in one direction
And of course, if you need a relaxed, smooth, and bumpy-free ride, your suspension must be kept in good shape.
Just as it is important to make sure you keep your car serviced so you will be able to drive it for many years. It is also important to have adequate insurance coverage to protect your can from man-made or natural disasters such as storms, tornados, hurricanes, or earthquakes.
Featured Image by Ryan Doka from Pixabay