Auckland is a fascinating destination for anyone in search of Polynesian culture, a laid-back vibe, and plenty of glorious sunshine. Whether you long to relax on a golden beach or want to find out more about the local culture, Auckland has something for everyone. Here are ten of the most unique things to do in this wonderful destination.
- Explore A Volcano. Actually, you can explore several volcanoes in Auckland since New Zealand is in the famous Ring of Fire. However, Mount Eden is the tallest of them all. A great spot for cycling or hiking, this amazing spot offers wonderful views from the summit.
- Enjoy The Bustling Waterfront. Head to Viaduct Harbor and enjoy the bustling waterfront with its countless bars and restaurants, picturesque marine, hotels, museum, and shops. Why not jump on a jet boat tour and spend the day on the sea? Or walk the 16 km stretch of the Coast-to-Coast Walkway to Manukau Harbor?
- Enjoy Natural Beauty On Rangitoto Island. The symmetrical cone of Rangitoto Island is famous on Auckland, and you can take a day trip here by ferry. This volcanic area can also be explored by 4×4 and boasts impressive scenery that you shouldn’t miss during your stay.
- Explore Ponsonby – A Happening Neighborhood. With its galleries, bars, and live music venues, Ponsonby is one of the most exciting neighborhoods of Auckland. If you’re in the mood for some retail therapy, this is the spot for you as it contains quirky boutiques selling vintage trinkets, designer clothing, and local handmade jewelry.
- Sample The Foodie’s Paradise. No trip to Auckland could ever be complete without visiting Britomart. This inviting area is home to homeware stores, fashion boutiques, specialty shops and, of course, outstanding eateries like Café Hanoi, the Depot Eatery, and Oyster Bar.
- Admire Amazing Views. Make sure to get a view of Auckland from one of its highest vantage points when you climb the Sky Tower. Admire the panoramic views over the city and dine at the restaurant right at the top where you can indulge in amazing food as well as amazing vistas.
- Indulge In Art. The Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tamaki should be any art-lovers first stop in the city. Artworks here date back to the tenth century however for those who prefer contemporary pieces, there’s no shortage to enjoy. Even better, since the museum is free to enter you won’t need to spend any of your vacation budget.
- Experience The Nightlife. The fun doesn’t stop in Auckland when the sun goes down, so head to the restaurants and bars of Britomart or enjoy the stylish glamour of Ponsonby Road with its dancing, cocktails, and live music. If you’d prefer to sample a craft beer, why not head to the Auckland CBD for its microbreweries?
- Take A Drive. If you really want to see the best that Auckland has to offer, consider hiring a vehicle. A car rental Auckland is a great way to explore the area, and within just 20 miles you’ll be in the heart of the Waitakere Ranges Regional Park – a mecca for outdoor enthusiasts. Here, you can stroll along a black sand beach, hike in picturesque scenery, or spot native birds.
- Taste The Wine. New Zealand wines are among the most famous in the world, and Auckland has many excellent wineries to tour and visit. Take a ferry to Waiheke Island where you can try some amazing local wines at an award winning winery.
So, there you have it – ten unique things to do in Auckland, New Zealand. Enjoy your trip!